CONCRETE AND CMU RETAINING WALLS
Download Word Document
SECTION 071000 COLD FLUID-APPLIED WATERPROOFING E-WALL SYSTEM 2
PART 1 GENERAL
- RELATED DOCUMENTS
- Drawings and general provisions of the Contract, including General and Supplementary Conditions and Division 1 Specification Sections, apply to this Section.
- This Section includes the following:
- Surface preparation and substrate treatment.
- Waterproofing membrane.
- Sheet flashing and accessories.
- Drainage panels.
- Related Sections: The following Sections contain requirements that relate to this Section:
- Division 3 Section "Cast-in-Place Concrete" for concrete placement, curing, and finishing.
- Division 4 Section "Masonry" for units and placement.
- Division 5 Section "Expansion Joint Cover Assemblies", for expansion-joint covers assemblies and installation.
- Division 7 Section "Joint Sealant" for joint sealant materials and installation.
- PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- General: Provide a waterproofing system that prevents the passage of liquid water under hydrostatic pressure and complies with physical requirements as demonstrated by testing performed by an independent testing agency of manufacturers current waterproofing formulations and system design.
- Submit Product Data for each type of waterproofing specified, including manufacturers printed instructions for evaluating, preparing, and treating the substrate, technical data, and tested physical and performance properties.
- Project Data - Submit Shop Drawings showing locations and extent of waterproofing, including details for substrate joints and cracks, sheet flashing, penetrations, and other termination conditions.
- Samples Submit representative samples of the following for approval:
- Waterproof membrane material.
- Prefabricated Protection Panel.
- Geo-textile and detailing sheet as required.
- Installer Certificates Submit certificates signed by manufacturer certifying that Installers comply with requirements under the "Quality Assurance" Article.
- QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Installer Qualifications: Engage an experienced Installer who is certified in writing and approved by waterproofing manufacturer EPRO Services, Inc. for the installation of the E-WALL SYSTEM Waterproofing.
- Manufacturer Qualification: Obtain waterproofing materials and system components from a single manufacturer EPRO Services, Inc.
- Field Sample: Apply waterproofing system field sample to 100 sq./ft. (9.3 sq./m.) of deck or wall to demonstrate surface preparation, joint and crack treatment, thickness, texture, and standard of workmanship.
- Notify Architect one week in advance of the dates and times when field sample will be prepared.
- If Architect determines that field sample, does not meet requirements; reapply waterproofing until field sample is approved.
- Retain and maintain approved field sample during construction in an undisturbed condition as a standard for judging the completed waterproofing. An undamaged field sample may become part of the completed Work.
- Pre-installation Conference: A pre-installation conference shall be held prior to application of the waterproofing system to assure proper substrate and installation conditions, to include contractor, applicator, architect/engineer and special inspector (if any).
- DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
- Deliver materials to Project site as specified by manufacturer labeled with manufacturers name, product brand name and type, date of manufacture, shelf life, and directions for storing and mixing with other components.
- Store materials as specified by the waterproofing manufacturer in a clean, dry, protected location and within the temperature range required by waterproofing manufacturer. Protect stored materials from direct sunlight.
- Remove and replace material that cannot be applied within its stated shelf life.
- PROJECT CONDITIONS
- Protect all adjacent areas not to be waterproofed. Where necessary, apply masking to prevent staining of surfaces to remain exposed wherever membrane abuts to other finish surfaces.
- Perform work only when existing and for-cast weather conditions are within manufacturers recommendations for the material and application method used.
- Minimum clearance of 24 inches is required for application of product. For areas with less than 24-inch clearance, the product may be applied by hand using ECOLINE-R.
- Ambient temperature shall be within manufacturers specifications. (Greater than +45ºF/+7ºC.)
- All plumbing, electrical, mechanical and structural items to be under or passing through the waterproof membrane shall be positively secured in their proper positions and appropriately protected prior to membrane application.
- Waterproof membrane shall be installed before placement of reinforcing steel. When not possible, all exposed reinforcing steel shall be masked by General Contractor prior to membrane application.
- General Warranty: The special warranty specified in this Article shall not deprive the Owner of other rights the Owner may have under other provisions of the Contract Documents, and shall be in addition to, and run concurrent with, other warranties made by the Contractor under requirements of the Contract Documents.
- Special Warranty: Submit a written warranty signed by waterproofing manufacturer and Installer agreeing to repair or replace waterproofing that does not meet requirements or that does not remain watertight within the specified warranty period. Warranty does not include failure of waterproofing due to failure of substrate prepared and treated according to requirements or formation of new joints and cracks in substrate that exceed 1/16 inch (1.6 mm) in width.
- Warranty Period: 3 years after date of Substantial Completion.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
- E-WALL SYSTEM; EPRO Services, Inc., Wichita, KS, 800-882-1896
- Spray-Applied ECOBASE II.
- Drainage mat ECODRAIN-E.
2.2 WATERPROOFING MATERIALS
- Fluid applied waterproofing system ECOBASE II; a single course, high build, polymer modified, asphalt emulsion. Waterborne and spray applied at ambient temperatures. A nominal thickness of 80 dry mils (60 mil minimum), unless specified otherwise. Non-toxic and odorless. ECOLINE-R has similar properties with greater viscosity and is roller or brush applied. Manufactured by EPRO Services, Inc.
- Fluid applied waterproofing physical properties.
2.3 AUXILIARY MATERIALS
- Sheet Flashing: 60-mil reinforced modified asphalt sheet good with double-sided adhesive.
- Reinforcing Strip: Manufacturers recommended polypropylene and polyester fabric.
- Joint Detailing Sealant Mastic: ECOLINE-T, a high viscosity polymer modified water based asphalt material.
1. Back Rod: Closed-cell polyethylene foam.
2.4 MOLDED-SHEET DRAINAGE PANEL
- For vertical structures of 30 feet or less.
- ECODRAIN-MS, a 3-diminsional, non-biodegradable, HDPE composite panel.
- ECODRAIN-MS Physical properties
PART 3 EXECUTION
- Examine substrates, areas, and conditions under which waterproofing systems will be applied, with Installer present, for compliance with requirements. Do not proceed with installation until unsatisfactory conditions have been corrected.
3.2 SURFACE PREPARATION
- Clean and prepare substrate according to manufacturers recommendations. Provide clean, dust-free, and dry substrate for waterproofing application.
- Mask off adjoining surfaces not receiving waterproofing to prevent spillage or over spray affecting other construction.
- Close off deck drains and other deck penetrations to prevent spillage and migration of waterproofing fluids.
- Remove grease, oil, form release agents, paints, and other penetrating contaminants from concrete.
- Remove fins, ridges, and other projections and fill honeycomb, aggregate pockets, grout joints, tie holes, and other voids with ECOLINE-T, hydraulic cement, or rapid-set grout.
3.3 PREPARATIONS AND TREATMENT AT TERMINATIONS AND PENETRATIONS
- Prepare vertical and horizontal surfaces at terminations, at penetrations through waterproofing material, and at expansion joints, drains, and sleeves according to ASTM C 898 and manufacturers recommendations.
- Apply two coats of ECOLINE-T or ECOLINE-R (30 mil each) and embed a joint reinforcing strip in preparation coat and apply a second coat over embedded joint reinforcing strip ensuring its complete saturation and covering.
- Terminations should be treated 6 inches up vertical and 6 inches on horizontal.
- Penetrations should be treated in a 6-inch radius around penetration and 3 inches onto penetrating object.
3.4 PREPARATIONS AND TREATMENT OF JOINTS AND CRACKS
- Prepare, treat, rout, and fill joints and cracks in substrate according to ASTM C 898 and waterproofing manufacturers recommendations. Remove dust and dirt from joints and cracks complying with ASTM D 4258 prior to coating surfaces.
- Vertical - Apply two coats of ECOLINE-T or ECOLINE-R waterproofing, 6 inches on each side of joint and embed a joint reinforcing strip in preparation coat and apply a second coat over embedded joint reinforcing strip ensuring to complete saturation and covering.
- Horizontal - Install sheet flashing over reinforced ECOLINE-T or ECOLINE-R joint to deck and wall substrates where indicated or required according to waterproofing manufacturers recommendations.
3.5 WATERPROOFING APPLICATION
- Set up spray equipment according to manufacturers instructions.
- Mix materials according to manufacturers instructions.
- Start installing waterproofing in presence of manufacturers technical representative.
- Apply waterproofing, according to manufacturers recommendations, by spray (ECOBASE II).
- Apply one spray coat of ECOBASE II or four roller coats of ECOLINE-R waterproofing to obtain a seamless membrane free of entrapped gases, with an average dry film thickness of 80 mils (1.5 mm) and a minimum dry film thickness of 60 mils (1.3 mm) at any point.
- Apply waterproofing to prepared wall terminations and vertical surfaces to heights indicated according to manufacturers recommendations and details.
- Verify film thickness of waterproofing every 100 sq. ft. (9.3 sq. m).
3.7 PROTECTION PANEL INSTALLATION
- Place and secure panels to substrate according to manufacturers written instructions. Use adhesives and adhesive strips (sheet flashing that does not penetrate waterproofing) as recommended by manufacturer. Overlap edges of dimpled core. Protect installed panels during subsequent construction.
3.8 FIELD QUALITY CONTROL
- Membrane may be checked for coverage with a lightly oiled, needle nose depth gauge, taking four (4) readings over a one square inch area, every 500 square feet. Record the minimum reading. Mark the test area for repair.
- Test areas are to be patched over with ECOBASE to an 80-mil minimum dry thickness, extending a minimum of one-inch (1") beyond the test perimeter.
3.9 CURING, PROTECTING, AND CLEANING
- Cure waterproofing according to manufacturers recommendations, taking care to prevent contamination and damage during application stages and curing.
- Clean spillage and soiling from adjacent construction using cleaning agents and procedures recommended by manufacturer of affected construction.